BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Neil_C
Calcite | Level 5

I have student data for the last 10 years – all of them
belong to a particular cohort (depending on the session or the year they
started in the University). I am interested in various longitudinal analyses on
SAS- for example, I need to see the change in courses they took (defined by
variable called subject) over time for each cohort, or for e.g. whether they graduated
in 4 years or alternatively where they dropped off during their stay in the
University.

For each student I have their individual details including unique
id, session data, year they started, program they are in, subject etc. I am
pondering over the best way to tackle this.

Any help appreciated. Please let me know if you need any
other additional info.

1 REPLY 1
ets_kps
SAS Employee

Hello,

Thank you for your question.  It actually seems that your problem is more closely related to reporting and processing longitudinal/panel data than it is about estimating a panel model.

There are couple of ways to do this in SAS with the most common to be using DATA step concepts or with PROC MEANS and some BY groups.

I would go a different direction and use PROC TIMEDATA to do this.  since you have repeat observations on a student at different moments in time, your 'by group' would be a student ID.  You would then use TIMEDATA like a datastep but instead of thinking about the PDV being a row, think about the PDV as a column of data. 

If you provide some data I wouldn't mind taking a crack at solving your problem. -Ken

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation