BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mohitmaan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I am using proc hpmixed for predictive analysis, i have understood almost all the necessary things over the time.

But, the only thing that i want to know is that how hpmixed process consumes time. Sometimes the same model runs for 25 hours and sometimes for around 40 hours.

Please, someone help me understand the process time for proc hpmixed.

I hope my question is clear, if not please leave a note.

Thanks,

Mohit

1 REPLY 1
ballardw
Super User

Are you saying that if you request the exact same model on the exact same dataset that the time varies? If that is the case I would look to system issues such as load, network traffic and number of other programs running or accessing disk and memory.

Generally a bigger dataset and more complex model, or more requested output slows any program down. Withoug details of models and datasets involved any response has to be about this generic. Many SAS procedures will go into estimates of memory usage. If your usage exceeds what the program can handle in RAM then the program spends time writing temporary values to disk and then reading them back. So disk IO can become a bottleneck.

You may want to watch some system diagnostics while the program runs to see if you are pushing the limits of the system.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation