BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
simkinm2
Calcite | Level 5

I have monthly data for events for which I'd like to ensure a good fit for monthly rates to a poisson distribution.  The data looks like this:

Month           Number_of_events        Patient_days       Events rate per_1000_patient_days

Jan2016             125                                 500                                250

Feb2016             150                                 523                               286.80

etc.....

I am plotting the monthly rates on a control chart and want to ensure I am meeting the assumption that the underlying distribution is a poisson distribution, otherwise the control limits I've calculated are not valid.  I believe I need to use proc genmod to model number_of_events and use the log of patient_days but want to make sure I am not missing anything.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

What have you tried so far?

PG
simkinm2
Calcite | Level 5

I've tried something like this:

data a;

set a;

log_pt_days= log(patient_days);

run; 

proc genmod data = a;

model number_of_events/ dist = poi offset = log_pt_days;

run; 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation