BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sas_analytics
Calcite | Level 5

Hi can any one help clarify doubt in goodness of fit in binary logistic. I created a model to predict the event response and got excellent c score of about .8 and also an attractive ROC carve. I checked the model by scoring the validation dataset and able to capture more than 70% of my responses in top 4 deciles. Also the KS score looks significant. Only thing I am having a trouble with is HL Hosmer Lemshow statistic coming significant means I need to rethink about the model. My question here is can i ignore the HL test and rely more on predictive power? Also, I am using proc logistic here. Appreciate any help on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The Hosmer-Lemeshow test is not my favorite test; it has low power in smaller samples and can show significance for important deviations in vary large ones.  I much prefer to look at the observed-predicted plots themselves.

If the HL test is significant, it doesn't say that the model you have is "wrong," it says that it can be "improved."  Sometimes "improvement" means a different model, additional variables, or data transformations.  However, if the model seems adequate, I may just "declare victory" and move on.

One caution (that doesn't seem to matter here), if the HL test is significant, then it would be inappropriate to claim that nothing is going on (e.g. to "accept the null").

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The Hosmer-Lemeshow test is not my favorite test; it has low power in smaller samples and can show significance for important deviations in vary large ones.  I much prefer to look at the observed-predicted plots themselves.

If the HL test is significant, it doesn't say that the model you have is "wrong," it says that it can be "improved."  Sometimes "improvement" means a different model, additional variables, or data transformations.  However, if the model seems adequate, I may just "declare victory" and move on.

One caution (that doesn't seem to matter here), if the HL test is significant, then it would be inappropriate to claim that nothing is going on (e.g. to "accept the null").

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation