BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
boriquez
Calcite | Level 5

I would like to analyze a multi-location complete randomized block design  where resposne variable is days to maturity (of a crop).  After running a proc severity the weibull distribution was selected.  My questions are :

Is there any information about using the weibull distribution in the glimmix procedure, if so which is the appropriate link function?

Do I need a fully saturated model with weibull distribution  as in a binomial distribution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I don't think a univariate histogram/analysis of the response variable tells you very much. The DIST= option in GENMOD and GLIMMIX specify the (conditional) error distribution, which might be very different from the distribution of the response. See the pictures in the article "Error distributions and exponential regression models."  

To answer your implied question, the GLIMMIX procedure does not support a Weibull distribution function for the errors. It sounds like you are treating the response variable as a continuous variable. If you think you have long-tailed errors, you might look at the gamma or lognormal distributions. (The gamma is sometimes used for waiting times.) Look at the goodness-of-fit statistics and the diagnostic residual plots to guide you in choosing a good model.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You say "after running PROC SEVERITY, a Weibull distribution was selected." Did you use PROC SEVERITY to run a fixed-model regression, or did you just analyze the response variable in isolation (a univariate model)?

boriquez
Calcite | Level 5
In Isolation (Univariate model)

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I don't think a univariate histogram/analysis of the response variable tells you very much. The DIST= option in GENMOD and GLIMMIX specify the (conditional) error distribution, which might be very different from the distribution of the response. See the pictures in the article "Error distributions and exponential regression models."  

To answer your implied question, the GLIMMIX procedure does not support a Weibull distribution function for the errors. It sounds like you are treating the response variable as a continuous variable. If you think you have long-tailed errors, you might look at the gamma or lognormal distributions. (The gamma is sometimes used for waiting times.) Look at the goodness-of-fit statistics and the diagnostic residual plots to guide you in choosing a good model.

boriquez
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for taking the time  to help Rick.

boriquez
Calcite | Level 5

Once again thank you Rick,  for pointing me in the right direction.  I will take a look at your sugestions and explore both the lognormal and gamma distribution. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation