BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
user24feb
Barite | Level 11

Hello,

How can I get the AIC's of all models of stepwise regression? If I use this code, I only get the result for the final model:

Data Input (Drop=i j);

Array X{*} X1-X500;

Do j=1 To 140;

X1=Rannor(1);

X2=Rannor(1);

Y=2+X1*3-X2*4+Rannor(1)-0.5;

Do i=3 To 500;

X{i}=Rannor(1);

End;

Output;

End;

Run;

Proc Reg Data=Input OutEst=Result;

Model Y = X1-X500 / Selection=Forward AIC BIC;

Run;

Thanks & kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Here's sample code for PROC GLMSELECT:

proc glmselect data=input;
model y = x1-x5 / selection=forward(select=sl) stats=bic details=all;
run;

The sub-option SELECT=SL specifies that variable selection is based on the significance level of the F statistic (similar to PROC REG, the default would be different: SBC). Option STATS=BIC includes the BIC in the output. AIC is included by default. DETAILS=ALL requests fit statistics and many other details about the models at each step of the variable selection process.

I've reduced the number of independent variables to 5 just for demonstration. Having more explanatory effects (500) than observations (140) in the analysis dataset would not be sensible for the general linear model anyway.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JacobSimonsen
Barite | Level 11

You can try use PROC HPGENSELECT.

proc hpgenselect data=input;
Model Y = X1-X50/dist=normal link=id;
Selection method=forward(choose=aic);
Run;

It shows the AIC value from each model. It also choose the model based on the AIC. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work with 500 variables (error message due to resource problems) so I only included the first 50 variables.

Effect Number p

Step Entered Effects In AIC Value

0 Intercept 1 877.2496 .

------------------------------------------------------------

1   x2    2   760.4677 <.0001

2   x1    3   413.6365 <.0001

3   x39   4   406.7601 0.0034

4   x47   5   400.3529 0.0043

5   x17   6   395.3228* 0.0088

user24feb
Barite | Level 11
I'm sorry for the typos in my code. If I copy-paste something (I think including squiggly brackets), the editor kind of "self-destructs".
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
ods output SelParmEst=SelParmEst;
plf515
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You  shouldn't be using stepwise to build models - the results are wrong see e.g. Stopping Stepwise

However, if you still want this, you can use GLMSELECT and use the DETAILS = FITSTATISTICS on the MODEL statement.

JacobSimonsen
Barite | Level 11
@plf515
I agree partly ...and also disagree partly...
Stepwise method have tendency to include too many variables. But, if it is clear when the results is reported that the associations was found by model section and not by testing well defined hypthoses, then there is no problem. Or, if the variable selection is done on a training dataset to generate hypothis, which then is tested on an other dataset it is also a valid approach.
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Here's sample code for PROC GLMSELECT:

proc glmselect data=input;
model y = x1-x5 / selection=forward(select=sl) stats=bic details=all;
run;

The sub-option SELECT=SL specifies that variable selection is based on the significance level of the F statistic (similar to PROC REG, the default would be different: SBC). Option STATS=BIC includes the BIC in the output. AIC is included by default. DETAILS=ALL requests fit statistics and many other details about the models at each step of the variable selection process.

I've reduced the number of independent variables to 5 just for demonstration. Having more explanatory effects (500) than observations (140) in the analysis dataset would not be sensible for the general linear model anyway.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation