BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
gavin_jones
Calcite | Level 5

I need to generate random values for two beta-distributed variables that are correlated. The two variables of interest are characterized as follows:

----

X1 has mean = 0.896 and variance = 0.001.

X2 has mean = 0.206 and variance = 0.004.

For X1 and X2, p = 0.5, where p is the correlation coefficient.

----

I understand how to generate a random number specifying a beta distribution using the function X = RAND('BETA', a, b), where a and b are the two shape parameters for a variable X that can be calculated from the mean and variance. However, I want to generate values for both X1 and X2 simultaneously while specifying that they are correlated at p = 0.5.

9 REPLIES 9
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Looks like a question for Rick Wicklin

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

This is a duplicate of the same question asked on StackOverflow.

Run the SAS/IML program on p. 166 of Simulating Data with SAS, but substiture the Beta distribution for the Gamma and Exponential variables that appear in the book.

gavin_jones
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Rick--this is the solution I came to yesterday. Thanks for producing such a fantastic resource.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

What values did you get for alpha_1, beta_1 and alpha_2, beta_2?

gavin_jones
Calcite | Level 5

data corr_vars;

input x1 var1 x2 var2; *var1 and var2 are the variances for x1 and x2;

a_x1 = ((1 - x1) / var1 - 1/ x1) * x1**2;

a_x2 = ((1 - x2) / var2 - 1/ x2) * x2**2;

b_x1 = a_x1 * (1 / x1 - 1);

b_x2 = a_x2 * (1 / x2 - 1);

datalines;

0.896 0.001 0.207 0.004

;

proc print data = corr_vars;

run;

Therefore:

alpha1 = 82.597

beta1 = 9.587

alpha2 = 8.289

beta2 = 31.750

Then, here is the code I used to generate the correlated rates based on the book chapter:

proc iml;

call randseed(12345);

N = 10000; *number of random variable sets to generate;

Z = RandNormal(N, {0, 0}, {1 0.5, 0.5 1});   *RandNormal(N, Mean, Cov);

U = cdf("Normal", Z);

x1_beta = quantile('BETA', U[,1], 82.597, 9.587);      

x2_beta = quantile('BETA', U[,2], 8.289, 31.750);

X = x1_beta || x2_beta;  *here are my correlated variables, beta-distributed;

rhoZ = corr(Z)[1,2];         *check correlations;     

rhoX = corr(X)[1,2];

print X;

print rhoZ rhoX;

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If you are interested in Pearson correlations, the correlation for the MVN data is not exactly the correlation that you want  for the beta variables. It needs to be modified, as explained on p. 167.  For this example, I think you want to use

rho = 0.5105

for the MVN data in order to have the correlation ot the beta variables be 0.5.

For Spearman (rank) correlations, no adjustment is necessary.

luboxing
Obsidian | Level 7

Rick,

I am trying to apply the solution here to a slightly different problem: to generated auto-correlated time-series of say 24 intervals (24 hours in a day) with each interval following a Weibull distribution (of different parameters across hours). My understanding is that each value depends on the last one so they have to be generated in sequence. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bo

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Yes, I think if you have a different question then you should start a new thread instead of appending to a thread from 2015.

luboxing
Obsidian | Level 7
Good idea... Just posted!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation