Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

Generate a spline plot in PROC GLIMMIX

Occasional Contributor

Generate a spline plot in PROC GLIMMIX

I am using PROC GLIMMIX to fit a generalized linear mixed model with a spline function. The model looks like:

log(Y) = random intercept + fixed intercept + beta(X1) + f(X2) + offset

I know that the EFFECT statement can create a spline function in the model, which can be written by

proc glimmix;
	class subj
	effect spl = spline(X2);
	model Y =  X1 spl / dist=poisson link=log offset=offset;
	random intercept / subject=subj type=un;
run;

However, the main problem is that there is no other statement to draw the spline plot in PROC GLIMMIX. I googled the info for a while, and most info points to the following link:

http://support.sas.com/kb/57/975.html

Nonetheless, the spline drawn in the example looks like a predicted spline, which y-axis is not the spline f(x) itself:

fusion_57975_3_57975fit2.png

I somewhat knew that the STORE statement and the PROC PLM can generate a plot for the fitted spline, but still haven't figured out how to write the program. Any suggestion is helpful. 

SAS Super FREQ

Re: Generate a spline plot in PROC GLIMMIX

Do you mean that you want a plot of the basis functions for the spline? You can use the OUTDESIGN= option on the PROC GLMMIX statement to output the basis functions. See the example in the section "Write the spline basis functions to a SAS data set" of the article

"Regression with restricted cubic splines in SAS" 

Occasional Contributor

Rick, 

I am glad that you can reply my post in person. I did review your blog article before posting my question, but I still cannot figure out how to plot the spline function via the output data generated from OUTDESIGN option. Here is my initial program:

proc glimmix data=CVD outdesign(names)=SplineBasis;
	class IndCode Criteria;
	effect spl = spline(hour_total);
	model CVD_Sic =  Criteria spl time / dist=poisson link=log offset=log_hire s;
	random intercept / subject=IndCode s type=un;
run;

The output data set 'SplineBasis' contains several new columns named by _X1 .... _X11 and _Z1. From the X matrix column definitions table, I can know that _X4~_X10 are the values of basis from the spline. However, when opening the output data set, I still have no idea how to draw them in a spline plot because in my understanding each x has only a value of f(x). Here I provide two screenshots from my outputs:

xmatrix.pngxmatrix2.png

I think I have almost reached the final step, but need a further guidance to generate the plot. I also need to draw a 95% CI of the spline. Hopefully you can advise me. Thank you. 

SAS Super FREQ

The "ColumnNames" table shows which of the _X variables are associated with the splines. In the example below, it is _X5--_X11, but your values might be different.  To see the spline bases, you need to wort the design by the underlying variable (hour_total, in your example).  Here's an example that you can copy:

proc glimmix data=sashelp.cars outdesign(names)=SplineBasis;
	class Origin;
	effect spl = spline(weight);
	model mpg_city =  origin spl;
   ods select ColumnNames;
run;

proc sort data=SplineBasis 
          out=SplinesOnly(keep=weight _X5--_X11);
by weight;
run;

proc sgplot data=SplinesOnly;
series x=weight y=_X5;
series x=weight y=_X6;
series x=weight y=_X7;
series x=weight y=_X8;
series x=weight y=_X9;
series x=weight y=_X10;
series x=weight y=_X11;
run;

If you don't want to use multiple SERIES statements, you can transpose the data from wide to long and use a single SERIES statement with the GROUP= option.

Occasional Contributor

Rick,

Thanks for your help, even the solution is not what I expect. Your example code generates multiple basis functions in a single plot, but what I need is just a single spline function in the plot. By using R, it looks like:

example.png

(I have transformed the estimated spline into relative risk)

I guess I can export the design matrix of the spline, and use a matrix multiplication to determine the estimated spline. However, because of the publication issue, I decide to generate this plot in R to complete my manuscript for a journal publication first. Thank you again.

SAS Super FREQ

I explicitly asked if you wanted a plot of the basis functions or something else. If you had posted that picture with your initial question, it would have given us something concrete to discuss and work towards. 

A spline consists of a set of basis functions and parameters (or parameter estimates), so I assume the graph you show is using the estimated parameters to form the spline. You can do something similar in SAS. I know that @WarrenKuhfeld has written a lot about how to evaluate splines from their basis functions. For example, see his 2013 SGF talk:

BTW, If you want a marginal effects plot, you can use the EFFECTPLOT statement as shown in the articles:

Use the EFFECTPLOT statement to visualize regression models in SAS

Visualize multivariate regression models by slicing continuous variables

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation