BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jkj4
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am needing help with setting up a generalized linear mixed model for a research project that involves binary, non-normal, non-gaussian data.  Here is the experimental layout:

4 ranches were used in the project where two treatments were applied to cattle in a minimum of one pasture per ranch.  More specifically trt 1 was fed to all cattle in pasture 1 for Ranch A and trt 2 was fed to all cattle in pasture 2 for Ranch A.  Ranches B and C had the same model.  Ranch D had 3 pastures (7,8,9) on trt 1 and 3 pastures (10 ,11, 12) on treatment 2.  There was a minimum of 20 cows in each pasture.  I was originally thinking this was a completely randomized block design with ranch as a block, but was wondering if there might be a better experimental design.

The first variable I am looking to evaluate include pregnancy rate.  I currently have each animal identified by ranch, pasture, and treatment, with their pregnancy status of open (coded as 0) or pregnant (coded as 1).  Please help me determine if pasture becomes the experimental unit or if animal within pasture is the experimental unit for this treatment layout.  Also, please help with the SAS code.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Regarding your design question: I also would say that this is a randomized block design (RBD), and I would incorporate the multiple pastures within a treatment at Ranch D as a form of subsampling. As a RBD, blocks (i.e., ranchs) define the statistical inference space and are the factor that replicates treatment. Cows are nested within a given pasture and are not independent in their response to implementation of a particular treatment to that pasture. Similarly, pastures are nested with Ranch D and are not necessarily independent in their response to implementation of a particular treatment.

Some people (who are less likely to be statisticians, I would surmise) might say otherwise, that cows nested within a ranch are independent in their response to treatment. (Ranch is still a block.) That argument is context-specific: how the were cows fed (jointly? individually?), how are cows impregnated (natural by a bull in the pasture? AI?), pasture management protocols, pasture forage heterogeneity, etc. These are questions to discuss with your peers; the SAS Community does not have the expertise or the information.

Regarding your request for code: Once you've sorted out the roles of various random effects factors (e.g., ranch, pasture, cow) in your study and if you have code problems, please show us code that you've tried. Some one may be able to help then.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Regarding your design question: I also would say that this is a randomized block design (RBD), and I would incorporate the multiple pastures within a treatment at Ranch D as a form of subsampling. As a RBD, blocks (i.e., ranchs) define the statistical inference space and are the factor that replicates treatment. Cows are nested within a given pasture and are not independent in their response to implementation of a particular treatment to that pasture. Similarly, pastures are nested with Ranch D and are not necessarily independent in their response to implementation of a particular treatment.

Some people (who are less likely to be statisticians, I would surmise) might say otherwise, that cows nested within a ranch are independent in their response to treatment. (Ranch is still a block.) That argument is context-specific: how the were cows fed (jointly? individually?), how are cows impregnated (natural by a bull in the pasture? AI?), pasture management protocols, pasture forage heterogeneity, etc. These are questions to discuss with your peers; the SAS Community does not have the expertise or the information.

Regarding your request for code: Once you've sorted out the roles of various random effects factors (e.g., ranch, pasture, cow) in your study and if you have code problems, please show us code that you've tried. Some one may be able to help then.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation