BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
yongseokkim
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I'm used to R but a newbie for SAS.

When it comes to GMM Estimation,

How SAS set its starting values of parameters to minimize criterion function?

For example, in R, I need to set moment conditions and starting values for parameters to minimize criterion function, but I find that SAS do not require users to set starting values, as far as I know.

Since estimates are very sensitive to starting values, I wonder how SAS sets its starting values so that I can get the same estimates between R and SAS.

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, welcome to SAS. I assume by GMM you mean "generalized mixed models"? Which procedure are you using?

The documentation of all the procedures is online and quite extensive. The procedure that most people use for generalized linear mixed models is the GLIMMIX procedure. You can use the PARMS statement to set initial values (and bounds) for parameters.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation