BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cd2011
Calcite | Level 5

I am estimating a GLM where the response variable is very skewed. So, I used gamma distribution and log link options. Now, for a comparison purpose, I was trying Normal distribution and Inverse Gaussian distribution. The model give similar coefficients with Normal distribution, but with Inverse Gaussian, the estimations are different, and the predicted values almost blows up (veryyy large). Any idea why this is happening? 

Thanks for any help you could provide.

2 REPLIES 2
1zmm
Quartz | Level 8

Without seeing your data and SAS programming statements, it's difficult to tell.  However, according to that great statistical reference, Wikipedia, the maximum likelihood estimates of the two parameters of the inverse Gaussian distribution depend on the reciprocals of the observation values.  If any of these values is close to zero, this could cause problems in estimation and prediction; if the predictions that "blow up" are associated with observation values close to zero, then this may explain what is happening.  I don't know whether adding a constant to the observation values (translating the values away from zero) would improve these predictions.

cd2011
Calcite | Level 5

I understand it might be hard to say whats going on without looking at the data. I can see the independent variable with the largest range is creating the problem. With inverse gaussian, the estimated  coefficient for this variable is quite large causing over predictions.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation