BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mauflagrum
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, I hope that someone may help me

Well, I am analyzing a longitudinal data set about hearing loss which has 226 subjects with repeated measures each one (with a maximum of 12 observations per subject) over a follow up time of 22.2 years. I don't have fixed points along time, so I am dealing with my time variable as a continuous covariate. The data set is highly unbalanced, but I considered to work under the assumption of missing completely at random. Now, the problem I guess is because of how my response variable is trichotomized. I am using as cut-off points two values given by an international recognized scale for measuring hearing loss, which is giving me the problem of no convergence (SAS shows the message 'Did not converge'). I have tried all the possible options for the covariance structure, but any had worked.

The categories which are "normal", "mild" and "moderate" have 836, 31 and 6 observations respectively. When I change the cut-off points (i.e. for those given by a k-mean clustering), the following code works well:

proc glimmix data=hearing1 method=RSPL;

class id;

model ansi = age age*time/ dist=multinomial link=cumlogit solution;

random intercept age/ subject=id type=CS;

run;

So my question is if the procedure does not converge, is it because of the frequencies in my classification? Should I split more equally balanced the observations?

I will wait for your advice

Thanks in advance

Mauricio

KU Leuven-Student

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

With that sort of imbalance, and two continuous variables that are likely to have a lot of collinearity (even if age is age at enrollment), I would expect a lot of problems with convergence.  I would say that your approach is more valid for your data than applying the international cutpoints.

One other approach would be two dichotomous analyses: normal vs non-normal, and mild vs moderate (could be normal+mild vs moderate, if you want to keep the same subjects in the two analyses.)

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation