BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AgReseach7
Obsidian | Level 7

Just want to make sure I'm "protected" when anallyzing all possible comparisons.

Study design (lamb feeding trial):

Effects of using ground juniper and feed urea in supplements fed to ewe lambs on growth, blood serum, xxx were evaluated. In a randomized design study, individually-penned lambs were fed xxx and of 1 of 8 supplements (fed separately from hay; 6 lambs/treatment) in a 4 × 2 factorial arrangement: 4 concentrations of juniper (15, 30, 45, or 60% of DM) and 2 levels of urea (1 or 3%). Lamb growth was evaluated on d 0, 5, 12, 19, 26, 33, and 40. Blood serum evaluated on d 6 to 8, 20 to 22, xxx.

A table will be produced that evaluates all possible comparisons.

Questions:

1. Is the following correct? Using Tukey adjustment?

2. Can I use "adjust = tukey" with PROC Glimmix (needd for some of my blood serum data)?

3. If JUN*UREA*Day is not significant, do I just drop it from the model & re-run it or just leave it in & just use the LSMeans of the full model? Probably doesn't matter, correct?

Note: all lambs have a different animal ID number.

PROC MIXED;

CLASS ID JUN UREA DAY;

MODEL supplementIntake = JUN UREA   JUN*UREA   JUN*UREA*DAY;

REPEATED DAY/SUBJECT=ID    TYPE = TOEPH (or other);

LSMEANS  JUN  UREA   JUN*UREA   JUN*UREA*DAY/PDIFF ADJUST=TUKEY;

RUN;QUIT;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I would suggest adjust=simulate as opposed to Tukey as that method more accurately controls type 1 error.  

As far as the model statement, i suggest:

MODEL supplementIntake = JUN UREA   JUN*UREA  DAY JUN*DAY UREA*DAY JUN*UREA*DAY/solution;

and for the lsmeans statement, similarly incorporating DAY:

LSMEANS JUN UREA   JUN*UREA  DAY JUN*DAY UREA*DAY JUN*UREA*DAY/DIFF ADJUST=SIMULATE ADJDFE=ROW;

I would recommend not dropping any terms from the model due to "nonsignificance".

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

This may be more a comment on variable names. You have

Model supplementIntake =

Are you trying to model the intake? I would think that intake is more of something you are controlling and would be more of a fixed effect variable and that Growth or Blood serum measurement would be on the response side.

AgReseach7
Obsidian | Level 7

Supp intake is the depend. variable. Each supplement is different, thus we analyze intake of that supplement, along with growth, serum, etc.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I would suggest adjust=simulate as opposed to Tukey as that method more accurately controls type 1 error.  

As far as the model statement, i suggest:

MODEL supplementIntake = JUN UREA   JUN*UREA  DAY JUN*DAY UREA*DAY JUN*UREA*DAY/solution;

and for the lsmeans statement, similarly incorporating DAY:

LSMEANS JUN UREA   JUN*UREA  DAY JUN*DAY UREA*DAY JUN*UREA*DAY/DIFF ADJUST=SIMULATE ADJDFE=ROW;

I would recommend not dropping any terms from the model due to "nonsignificance".

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation