Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

Fitting poisson distribution to a histogram

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

I want to chart the poisson distribution on a histogram and subsequently to a qqplot. Proc univariate doesn't seem to support this. Any help is deeply appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-02-2012 09:39 AM
SAS Super FREQ

1) Estimate the parameter with PROC GENMOD: http://support.sas.com/kb/24/166.html

2) Use the DATA step and he tPDF function to compute the Poisson PDF (well, really the PMF=probability mass function) for the range of x values of interest.

3) The Poisson is a discrete distribution, so your data should be plotted with a bar chart. Because PROC SGPLOT doesn't enable you to overlay a bar chart and a scatter plot of (x, pdf(x)), you need to use the GTL to overlay the two plots.

4) You can create a Q-Q plot by following the steps laid out in my blog: http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2011/10/28/modeling-the-distribution-of-data-create-a-qq-plot/

Rick

View solution in original post

All Replies
Respected Advisor

Do you have access to SAS/QC?  If so, PROC CAPABILITY should be able to help with this problem.

Steve Denham

Contributor

Re: Fitting poisson distribution to a histogram

Unfortunately I don't have access to SAS/QC.

SAS Super FREQ

CAPABILITY and UNIVARIATE only model continuous distributions. The Poisson distribution is discrete.

Respected Advisor

I apologize--I gave an answer without checking the documentation.  I knew CAPABILITY had several distributions, and wrongly assumed that it included the Poisson.  There is nothing that is better than reading the manual, and I missed it on this one.

Steve Denham

Solution
‎04-02-2012 09:39 AM
SAS Super FREQ

1) Estimate the parameter with PROC GENMOD: http://support.sas.com/kb/24/166.html

2) Use the DATA step and he tPDF function to compute the Poisson PDF (well, really the PMF=probability mass function) for the range of x values of interest.

3) The Poisson is a discrete distribution, so your data should be plotted with a bar chart. Because PROC SGPLOT doesn't enable you to overlay a bar chart and a scatter plot of (x, pdf(x)), you need to use the GTL to overlay the two plots.

4) You can create a Q-Q plot by following the steps laid out in my blog: http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2011/10/28/modeling-the-distribution-of-data-create-a-qq-plot/

Rick

Respected Advisor

Great advice! There is even an easier way to do step 3 now. The VBARPARM can be combined with SERIES plots in SGPLOT (I think this is new to 9.3).

PG

PG
SAS Super FREQ

Clever! Yes, you can use PROC FREQ to tabulate the data. You'll want to scale the PERCENT variable to a proportion so that it is on the same scale as the PDF.

Contributor

Rick,

Thank you so much for the response and then subsequently backing this with your blog. I have read and shared your blogs in the past and they have always worked.

Thanks,

Jatin

SAS Super FREQ

You are welcome. And thanks to you for the interesting idea.

For those who do not read my blog, I followed up my first post with a second: The Poissonness plot: A goodness-of-fit diagnostic

in which I present a graphical diagnostic plot that is an alternative to using a Q-Q plots.

SAS Super FREQ

I explain the details of my answer and give an example (which includes PGStats's suggestion) on my blog in the article "Fitting a Poisson Distribution to Data in SAS."

The same approach should work for other discrete distributions such as negative binomial and geometric distributions.

Rick

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation