BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cd2011
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am comparing different estimation methodologies for a project I am working on.

1. The first model I am estimating is an ols, To get robust standard error for the correlated observations, I used genmod. But then someone told me the genmod routine for calculating robust standard errors are not entirely correct and suggested using glimmix. So I tried that too. My understanding is that the parameter estimates should be same, but I am not getting that. I tried different estimation within glimmix but that did not give similar estimates either. Any thoughts?

My code:

proc genmod data= filename ;

class id;

model log_y = x1 x2 x3 x4 ;

repeated subject=id/type=cs printmle ;

proc glimmix data = filename ;

class id ;

model log_y = x1 x2 x3 x4 / s ;

random _residual_ /subject=id type=cs ;run ;

2. The second model I am estimating is GLM. I used genmod for that as well. To be able to use the same routine for both, I re-estimated glm using glimmix and again I get different parameter estimates. So, any explanation for that will be helpful. my codes are below.

My code for GLM:

proc genmod data= filename ;

class id;

model y=  x1 x2 x3 x4  / dist=gamma link=log;

repeated subject= id/type=cs printmle;

proc glimmix data = filename;

class id ;

nloptions maxiter= 50;

model y=  x1 x2 x3 x4  / dist=gamma link=log;

random _residual_ /subject= id type=cs ;

run ;

Thank you very much.

5 REPLIES 5
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

When you say you get different estimates, can you present examples?  I mean, are the differences in the second or third decimal place, or are they grossly different.

I have been able to get estimations between GENMOD and GLIMMIX to "match", but there is occasionally a trivial difference in the estimates.  Be sure to check the log likelihood values and the number of observations analyzed as well.

Steve Denham

cd2011
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input. I noticed the differences are at the second decimal places for some and at the third decimal for others. An example given below:

OLS                    GENMOD           GLIMMIX

intercept       5.0117                   5.0272

x1               0.5870                    0.5464

x2               -0.0216                  -0.02112

x3               2.2678                   2.2892

GLM                   GENMOD           GLIMMIX

intercept       5.4702                  5.5124

x1               0.8672                   0.8738

x2               -0.0165                  -0.01434

x3               2.0139                   1.9925

Also, number of observations are same in both, but I cannot compare log-likelihood since GENMOD with repeated option does not give Log-likelihood values.

Could it be the type option within the random statement ? When I do the two methods without the random or repeated options, the answers are same.

- CD

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Deep water here, but...

Look at QICu for GENMOD and AIC for GLIMMIX.  Since these are essentially -2 loglikelihood + 2*number of parameters, and the number of parameters should be the same for both approaches, then the difference between these would be the difference in the log likelihoods (or quasi-likelihoods).  And for GLIMMIX, with an R-side approach, the information criterion is based on a pseudo-likelihood rather than a quasi-likelihood, but in this case they should be close.

Try changing the optimization technique in GLIMMIX, with an NLOPTIONS statement.  GENMOD uses a ridge stabilized Newton-Raphson method, so add the following to your GLIMMIX codes:

nloptions tech=nrridg;

to see if the results are any closer.

Steve Denham

cd2011
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Steve,

I did as you suggested. But the tech=nrridg and the default method gave the same parameter estimates.

At the end of the day, I wanted to make sure the estimation method I am using is doing what I intend it to do, that is getting robust standard error for OLS and estimating GLM with subject correlation. Before I used genmod for that and now I am using GLIMMIX with random residual option. Am I ok to use GLIMMIX for this purpose? It would have been nice if I could test these two approaches giving same results, but somehow I am not getting this.

Thanks for all your help.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

One way to get robust standard errors in GLIMMIX is to specify ddfm=kr2 in the MODEL statement as an option.  The Kenward-Roberts adjustment uses Satterthwaite degrees of freedom, and the methods of Prasad-Rao-Kackar-Harville-Jeske to adjust the variance-covariance matrix.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation