BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Hope18
Fluorite | Level 6

I would like to extract the only year from the date as a new variable how do I write the program?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

It depends, but usually you would use a data step and the YEAR() function for starters. 

You can run the example below.

data year_demo;
set sashelp.stocks;
year = year(date);
run;

@Hope18 wrote:

I would like to extract the only year from the date as a new variable how do I write the program?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

It depends, but usually you would use a data step and the YEAR() function for starters. 

You can run the example below.

data year_demo;
set sashelp.stocks;
year = year(date);
run;

@Hope18 wrote:

Hope18
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you guys this was helpful.

MarkWik
Quartz | Level 8

@Hope18 You could close the thread by marking @Reeza 's answer as accepted solution

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

It depends on how your date is stored - for example if it's a SAS datetime you can use the date part function http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=lefunctionsref&docsetTarget=p0rttbu7w62xgzn1damccyuwpld8.htm&... or if it's a character then the substr function http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=lefunctionsref&docsetTarget=n0n08xougp40i5n1xw7njpcy0a2b.htm&...

If you tell us how it's stored we can give you a concrete example.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation