BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kgurzo
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear Sas Support Group,

I have a model where I look at the accident risk of 3 different groups, including a dummy for group, the age category, gender, median income (standardized by subtracting the mean and dividing by two standard deviation) and an interaction between median income and the groups, since I believe that the effect of income on each group will be different.

To be able to interpret the effect, I used the statement estimate, however I am not totally sure if I gave the right formula, although I do get some results.

What I have as code is the following:

genmod data=data1 desc;

group gender age_cat;

coll1=group age_cat gender st_medinc group*st_medinc / dist=binomial link=log type3;

'group1 versus group3' group*st_medinc 1 0 -1/exp;

'group1 versus group2' group*st_medinc 1 -1 0 /exp;

'group2 versus group3' group*st_medinc 0 1 -1 /exp;

Could someone have a look and confirm if I did it correctly or if I need to correct the estimate statement somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

Krisztina Gurzo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I don't know what version of SAS/STAT you are using, but if it is 12.1, try changing to the LSMESTIMATE statement.  Something like:

lsmestimate group '1 v 3' 1 0 -1,

'1 v 2' 1 -1 0,

'2 v 3' 0 1 -1/exp at= <insert desired value for st_medinc>;

This presupposes a significant group*st_medinc effect, so that the estimation should be done at a low value of st_medinc, the mean value of st_medinc, and a high value of st_medinc.  If the interaction is not significant, then comparison at the mean value will be as informative as at any other specific value.

Also, be sure you want to use link=log, as the canonical link for the binomial distribution is the logit.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I don't know what version of SAS/STAT you are using, but if it is 12.1, try changing to the LSMESTIMATE statement.  Something like:

lsmestimate group '1 v 3' 1 0 -1,

'1 v 2' 1 -1 0,

'2 v 3' 0 1 -1/exp at= <insert desired value for st_medinc>;

This presupposes a significant group*st_medinc effect, so that the estimation should be done at a low value of st_medinc, the mean value of st_medinc, and a high value of st_medinc.  If the interaction is not significant, then comparison at the mean value will be as informative as at any other specific value.

Also, be sure you want to use link=log, as the canonical link for the binomial distribution is the logit.

Steve Denham

kgurzo
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for your answer, I have not used the lsmestimate before, but my version indeed allows for it. I wanted to use the link=log to get the risk ratio instead of the odds ratio. It works perfectly and the results are very reasonable. I will use it more in the future.

Thanks again for your response, it was very helpful!

Krisztina Gurzo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation