BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
djbateman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have been given a hazard ratio = 0.64 and a control median of 8 months.  How can I use that information to estimate the treatment median survival time at 80% power and show 38% improvement in hazard ratios?

4 REPLIES 4
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Check out PROC POWER, and look at the syntax for TWOSAMPLESURVIVAL.  I am pretty sure that you just need to plug in the values, and exponentiate the hazard rate for the reference group.  There is an example 70.6 in the SAS/STAT 9.3 documentation to get started.

Steve Denham

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I don't think that you can do both of those from the little information you have provided.  See

http://www.statsdirect.com/help/sample_size/sample_size_for_survival_analysis.htm

for an easy to use survival analysis sample size computation.

Given the ratio and one rate, you can compute the sample size required for 80% power.

You can compute a 38% "improvement in hazard ratios" (though it is not to me well defined) to get a new HR, and then do the computation above.

I believe the SAS Power and Sample Size product can do the can computations.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

djbateman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I guess I should have specified that we already have a sample size of 200.  I hope that clears up a little bit.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I guess I don't understand the question.  If you have a known sample size and known power, do you wish to solve for the minimum detectable difference?  You have specified what the difference is, so that seems out.  More info would help here.

Thanks,

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation