BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
m_priya
Fluorite | Level 6

IM A BEGINNER IN SAS .IN MY PROJECT I NEED TO PERFORM ANALYSIS TO  MY DEPENDENT AND INDEPENDENT VARIABLES TO CHECK FOR HYPOTHESES.

MY DEPENDENT VARIABLE  :   ORDER - CHARACTER VAR

INDEPENDENT VARIABLES : CITY ,SOURCE-CHARACTER VAR

PRICE ,QUANTITY,SALES AMT- NUMERIC VARIABLE.

TOTALLY I HAVE SIX VARIABLES. I CONVERTED ALL MY NUMERIC VAR TO CHARACTER VAR AND PERFORMED THE CHISQ TEST.I GOT WARNING MESSAGE AS:(SOME%) OF CELLS HAVE EXPECTED COUNTS LESS THAN 5.CHISQ MAY NOT BE A VALID TEST.

AGAIN I TRIED FOR GLM /ANNOVA MULTIVARIATE TEST.GOT ERROR AS

ERROR: Variable Order  in list does not match type prescribed for this list.

EVEN IF I CHANGE THE POSITION OF DEPENDENT AND INDEPENDENT VAR I GET THE SAME ERROR.

HERE IS MY SCRIPT:

PROC ANOVA;
CLASS SOURCE;
MODEL   ORDER = PRICE QUANTITY SALES AMOUNT CITY SOURCE ;
MANOVA H=_ALL_;
RUN;

COULD SOMEBODY HELP ME WITH WHAT KIND OF  ERROR IS THIS /ANY OTHER WAY TO PERFORM ANALYSIS FOR ALL THESE VARIABLE ALTOGETHER.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

BE THE ODD IN MILLIONS
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

First thing, when you have an error it helps to post the code and error by copying from the log and pasting into a code box opened with the {i} icon in the forum. Error messages often have indicators that help determine where the error occured but the main forum message box reformats the text making the error diagnostics less useful.

This error almost always means that you are using a character variable where the procedure expects a numeric.

The Anova procedure requires a numeric for the dependent variable. Character variables do not have any "variance" to analyze in this context

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

First thing, when you have an error it helps to post the code and error by copying from the log and pasting into a code box opened with the {i} icon in the forum. Error messages often have indicators that help determine where the error occured but the main forum message box reformats the text making the error diagnostics less useful.

This error almost always means that you are using a character variable where the procedure expects a numeric.

The Anova procedure requires a numeric for the dependent variable. Character variables do not have any "variance" to analyze in this context

m_priya
Fluorite | Level 6

hi,

yup i understood.and also corrected the error. thank you

BE THE ODD IN MILLIONS
Reeza
Super User

WRITING IN ALL CAPS is yelling, personally I can't read your post. Can you please try and repost your question in a proper format. Use the { i } icon to embed your code in the post. 

Ksharp
Super User
Error info said your ORDER is character type variable, not numeric , therefore you can't use ANOVA.

m_priya
Fluorite | Level 6

hi,

thakyou.i understood and corrected .

BE THE ODD IN MILLIONS

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation