BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sarph
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

I'm running a 3 level model in proc mixed and need to set the parameter estimates of my three level 2 predictors equal to each other. I know there is a 'restrict' command in proc reg that will do this. Is there an equivalent command in proc mixed?

Thanks! Message was edited by: sarph
1 REPLY 1
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
There is no explicit restrict command. Sometimes an explicit restriction can be re-formulated as an implicit restriction. For instance, with x1 and x2, and the same parameter for each, one could write:
y = beta0 + beta*x1 + beta*x2
as
y = beta0 + beta*(x1+x2).
So, if you define xsum = x1+x2 in a data step, you could then use xsum as a single covariable in mixed. Of course, other restrictions are not so easy to formulate. Edwards and colleagues have done some good work on writing macros to allow for more arbitrary linear constraints on the parameters. Basically, "new" variables are constructed outside of mixed based on the constraints chosen, and then mixed is used to fit the model (with follow-up re-formulation). If you are statistically savvy, you might enjoy the article in Biometrics, vol. 57, pp. 1185-1190 (2001). I have not tried to use the the code made available by the authors. There may be other contributions in the last few years.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation