BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
WaterColour
Calcite | Level 5
I'm a fisheries biologist and i'm scouting around for a robust way to determine what the principle environmental influences are on a number of response variables such as fish swimming speed or travel time between two points.

The environmental variables are daily mean water temperature, daily precipitation, barometric pressure, and river flow rate.

The challenge is that these variables are linked -- large rainfalls drop the water temperature and increase the river flow rate; high barometric pressure is associated with high water temperatures and low flow rates.

Another challenge is that most of the environmental variables are not normally-distributed, so parametric statistics may not be suitable without specific transformations. Are there recommended transformations for rainfall data, for example?

Finally, there is the temporal nature of the data -- with auto-correlation in all variates.

Is there a statistically-defensible process to decipher which predictor or predictors are key?

Thanks!
1 REPLY 1
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I am sorry, but your questions are much too general to be addressed here. You are basically asking for an entire course in empirical modeling. I suggest you find a consulting statistician who can work with you on this problem.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation