BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
csullivan27
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am running a mixed model in SAS Studio (V9.4) on a Windows 10, 64 bit computer with 6 GB of installed RAM. My model has 2 fixed effects and 2 random effects. The data set is within a xlsx file and has 104,000 observations and 8 variables (total file size = 3500 KB). I get the following error when trying to run my code.

ERROR: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of insufficient memory

NOTE: PROCEDURE MIXED used (Total process time):

real time 3.55 seconds
cpu time 3.51 seconds

Code

proc mixed DATA=Variation_study;
class  PlayerID TeamID  SeasonID  PositionID;
model  DepVar =  PositionID  WinLoss;
random INT SeasonID / subject=PlayerID;
random INT SeasonID/ subject=TeamID;
run;

When I run this code;

PROC OPTIONS GROUP= MEMORY ;

RUN;

The outcome is this...
Group=MEMORY
SORTSIZE=1073741824
Specifies the amount of memory that is available to the SORT procedure.
SUMSIZE=0 Specifies a limit on the amount of memory that is available for data summarization procedures when class
variables are active.
MAXMEMQUERY=268435456
For certain procedures, specifies the maximum amount of memory that can be allocated per request.
LOADMEMSIZE=0 Specifies a suggested amount of memory that is needed for executable programs loaded by SAS.
MEMSIZE=2147483648
Specifies the limit on the amount of virtual memory that can be used during a SAS session.
REALMEMSIZE=0 Specifies the amount of real memory SAS can expect to allocate.
NOTE: PROCEDURE OPTIONS used (Total process time):
real time 0.00 seconds
cpu time 0.00 seconds

Does my computer simply not have enough installed memory to complete this analysis? or is there an alternate way to write the code to use less memory? I have read some other posts on here regarding insufficient memory however, these have not been helpful to my specific situation.

Thank you for your help in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Are you using SAS UE or a full install?

csullivan27
Calcite | Level 5
University edition. Could this be my problem?

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
Reeza
Super User

Probably. Check the RAM assigned to your VM.

Your random statements may also be causing computational issues. Add one in at a time. 

I'll also move this to stat stat procs to see if someone else has better suggestions. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation