BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
yael
Quartz | Level 8

Hello

I am asking for your advice,

I have 3 dummy variables with 1/0. These are called :Afirm ,Bfirm ,Cfirm.

I also have a variable called FIRMS that have 3 options:1,2,3. When Afirm=1 than FIRMS=1, When bfirm=1 than FIRMS=2, When cfirm=1 than FIRMS=3.

If I run a regression, I understand the meaning of the coeffient of Afirm ,Bfirm ,Cfirm. But is it any meaning for the variable FIRMS?

What is preferable to add in the regression in order to get the difference between the firms?

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

It sounds like FIRMS tells you all you need to know. Just use a CLASS statement in a regression procedure, like this:

CLASS FIRMS;

MODEL Y = FIRMS ...;

It is not necessary to use the dummy variables in regression. If you are using a SAS procedure (such as PROC REG) that does not support the CLASS statement, you can generate a design matrix (which will have either 3 or 4 columns) by following the advice in the article "Four ways to create a design matrix in SAS."

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

It sounds like FIRMS tells you all you need to know. Just use a CLASS statement in a regression procedure, like this:

CLASS FIRMS;

MODEL Y = FIRMS ...;

It is not necessary to use the dummy variables in regression. If you are using a SAS procedure (such as PROC REG) that does not support the CLASS statement, you can generate a design matrix (which will have either 3 or 4 columns) by following the advice in the article "Four ways to create a design matrix in SAS."

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation