BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
juanvg1972
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I am trying to generate a model to predict the number of absences of a school alumn. My inputs var are: math and literature marks of the alumns and their sex. The number of absences vary from 0 to 12. I am using a GLM model with 'proc genmod'

proc genmod data = test;
 class sexo;
 model diasau = nota_mates nota_lengua sexo / dist=Poisson;
 store out=modelo_glm;
run;

I have some doubts:

- How can I select the apropiate distibution: Poisson...?

-  Do I have to do some log transformation?

I am not an expert in GLM models, but I know that I have to review the model deviance vs degree of freedoms:

Thats what I get:

genmod.png

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

A count response is most typically modeled using the Poisson or the negative binomial distribution. The negative binomial distribution is used when the Poisson model shows evidence of overdispersion as discussed in this note. Since your "Value/DF" values are all less than 1, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of overdispersion. When fitting either of those distributions, the log link function is the default, so that the model is log(mean) = intercept + b1*x1 + b2*x2 + ... .  So, you should not apply any transformation to your response.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

A count response is most typically modeled using the Poisson or the negative binomial distribution. The negative binomial distribution is used when the Poisson model shows evidence of overdispersion as discussed in this note. Since your "Value/DF" values are all less than 1, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of overdispersion. When fitting either of those distributions, the log link function is the default, so that the model is log(mean) = intercept + b1*x1 + b2*x2 + ... .  So, you should not apply any transformation to your response.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation