Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

Degrees of freedom involved in Wald tests for parameter estimates with NLMIXED

New Contributor

Degrees of freedom involved in Wald tests for parameter estimates with NLMIXED

[ Edited ]

The degrees of freedom associated with wald tests of parameter estimates for NLMIXED is: 

#Subjects - #Random Effects Parameters; by default.

My question is: why the number of fixed effect parameters being estimated does not count for estimating themselves?

E.g. I can have a dataset with a given number of subjects and try two different models: one with fewer (simpler) and another with more fixed effect parameters (more complex), and yet the wald test df for all parameters (fixed & random) is the same in both scenarios.

Shouldn't I lose df as I add more fixed effect parameters?

New Contributor

Re: Degrees of freedom involved in Wald tests for parameter estimates with NLMIXED

[ Edited ]

A copy of the answer I got from Dr Ed Vonesh with references to his book on Generalized Linear and Nonlinear Models for Correlated Data by SAS Inst:

You ask a great question. The question of what denominator DF (DDF) one should use with nonlinear mixed-effects (NLME) models is a difficult question. As there is no unifying theory on what the underlying distribution of the corrected Wald test-statistic is under a NLME model, we are faced with choosing a DDF option that allows a somewhat conservative approach to construction of tests and confidence intervals that would otherwise be way too liberal using standard asymptotic distributions (the z-test or chi-square test).  Use of a t-test or F-test with DDF = (n-v) where n=number of subjects and v=number of random effects will, in most applications, provide a conservative p-value (or conservative confidence interval) when n is "small". Even then, the use of DDF = (n-v) can run into problems - see example 5.4.1 and discussion of DDF = 4 (pp. 295-296).  The problem with using something  like DDF = (n-s-v) where s = number of regression parameters that need to be estimated is that you could run into negative DDF estimates as shown in the Orange Tree example (pp. 295-296).

Alternatively, as pointed out in one of my earlier publications (see page 8 of Vonesh and Carter, "Mixed Effects Nonlinear Regression for Unbalanced Repeated Measures", Biometrics, 48: 1-17, 1992), Gallant suggested using the corrected Wald F-test, T-square/NDF (where NDF is the numerator degrees of freedom for a particular contrast of interest) in conjunction with tabulated values of the F-distribution with F(NDF, N-s) where, for p repeated measurements per subject, N = np is the total number of observations (not subjects) and s is the total number of regression parameters. So this is another option you could use, namely DDF = N-s. However, I would suspect that in most applications, the use of DDF=(n-v) will lead to more conservative inference versus use of DDF = (N-s). That being said, you can always specify your own value for DDF which best meets the needs of a particular application. 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation