BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am running a logistic prediction models where one of my categorical (3 categories) independent variables has a 0 cell one of the outcome groups. Is there a way I can deal with this in SAS without having to collapse the categories, since it would not make clinical sense to do so in this situation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

You could try fitting an exact logistic regression via the EXACT statement in LOGISTIC

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jo_rod
Obsidian | Level 7

Could you give more detail as to why you can't collapse the groups? And when you say 0 cells, do you mean there were 0 observations for that specific category in the outcome, or it had 0 observations for some of your covariates?

Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

One of the categories of a predictor I would like to enter into the prediction model has 0 observations for 1 category of the binary outcome. Here are the number for that variable in my data:

Mortality

0    1

X  1     64   42

2     4     13

3     4     0

I do not want to collapse 2 and 3 because it does not make any sense clinically to do so - they are separately meaningful categories of X.

jo_rod
Obsidian | Level 7

My suggestion would be to drop that category. You can't infer anything from it if you have no response for a category. As well, you're likely to run into some type of problem like quasi-seperation for that category. It maybe something you're really interested in, but it may be best to look only at the other two categories, and then report on the third having too much missing data.

Though, if you really want to keep it and have the time, you could look into multiple imputation. I don't have much experience with that, so I can't give too much input on whether it's even feasible for this situation.

SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

You could try fitting an exact logistic regression via the EXACT statement in LOGISTIC

Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

But couldnt the fact that I have no responses for a particular category in itself be informative?

jo_rod
Obsidian | Level 7

Depending on your research question, sometimes it won't be informative and you would need to drop the category if you can't collapse it with another group. So you could go with what SAS_Rob mentioned and do an exact logistic regression.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation