BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Imkemasuy
Calcite | Level 5

I tested 4 different sugar solutions in 20 healthy volunteers. They had to drink the solutions until they were satiated.

So my question is: Is there a significant difference in drinking time between the 4 solutions?

I want to analyze it with SAS, but I'm not sure which syntax to use. I've already run ANOVA, but the resulting p-value is not consistent with the p-value I found using GraphPad Prism. I think it's because SAS did a normal ANOVA, but it has to be a repeated measures ANOVA with multiple comparisons.

I tried a lot of different commands in SAS, but I'm not sure which one is the right one. So if anybody could help me? Would be nice 🙂

Cheers!

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You say you think it should be a repeated measures analysis, but there's nothing in your decription that indicates repeated measures was actually performed. You said: "I tested 4 different sugar solutions in 20 healthy volunteers. They had to drink the solutions until they were satiated."

So can you explain further?

--
Paige Miller
Imkemasuy
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, so, these 20 volunteers all tested the 4 different solutions at different study days. So that's why it is repeated (with the same subjects and the same solutions for every subject). 

plf515
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You are right that you have dependent data because "time to satiety" will partly depend on the person.

RM ANOVA is one way to analyze such data, and it can be done in SAS, but RM ANOVA makes rather strong assumptions (it assumes sphericity) and a better way to analyze such data is with multilevel models.  Since your DV is continuous, then PROC MIXED is probably a good place to start.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation