BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LucyB
Obsidian | Level 7

I have some exam data for some middle school students, with 2 continuous outcomes i am interested in looking at
(1) exam score
(2) time it takes to complete the exam

Is it possible to combine these to 1 meaningful outcome variable (they have different scales and better is higher for score and lower for the time)? I want to compare the effect of a predictor and also look at differences in this association by county.

1 REPLY 1
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@LucyB wrote:

I have some exam data for some middle school students, with 2 continuous outcomes i am interested in looking at
(1) exam score
(2) time it takes to complete the exam

Is it possible to combine these to 1 meaningful outcome variable (they have different scales and better is higher for score and lower for the time)? I want to compare the effect of a predictor and also look at differences in this association by county.

You will probably get many suggestions. My suggestion is to use a multivariate statistical method, such as MANOVA, which will form a linear combination (or perhaps two linear combinations) of your 2 continuous outcomes; or Partial Least Squares Regression (which also will form one or two linear combinations of your 2 continuous outcomes).

I'm also thinking that none of this is necessary in the case where you have only two response variables and two predictor. In the case where you have so few variables, it's easy to plot the variables against one another and multivariate methods are really overkill unless the two response variables are highly correlated.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation