BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
munitech4u
Quartz | Level 8

I am trying to build a cox regression model which has time varying predictors. The predictor nature is continuous in nature.

Most the examples that I cam across use dummy coding in binary form.e.g. if that covariate is there in that year then its 1 else 0.

But I have time varying covariates which are continuous in nature. Like cash value, asset etc.

Any suggestion how to include them into model, and in what form the model would need them to model probability of event being 1/0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JacobSimonsen
Barite | Level 11

I think you got it right.

Didn't you say that there were 15 intervals as in the examples? -then the length of the arrays aa, bb .. should be 14. The code below is (intended to be) as in the example, just with 5 timedependent variables instead of just one.

proc phreg data=Tumor;

model Time*Dead(0)=Dose a b c d e;

array aa{*} a1-a14;

array bb{*} b1-b14;

array cc{*} c1-c14;

array dd{*} d1-d14;

array tt{*} t1-t14;

t1=27;  t2=34;  t3=37;  t4=41;  t5=43;   t6=45;  t7=46;  t8=47;  t9=49; t10=50;   t11=51; t12=53; t13=65; t14=67; t15=71;

if Time <  tt[1]  then do;

a=0;b=0;c=0;d=0;e=0;

*it is important here that tt[1] is before the first event-time. I think this can be done more elegant, but it is how it is written in the example;

end;

else if time >= tt[15] then do;

a=a15;b=b15;c=c15;d=d15;e=e15;

end;

else do i=1 to dim(pp);

if tt <= Time < tt[i+1] then do;  a=aa;b=b[;c=cc;d=dd;e=e; end;

end;

run;

Maybe, you can shorten the code considerable by using twodimensional arrays. This is especially relevant if you need to extend the code to handle 20 time-dependent covariates.

Also, by the way, the second approach also shown in the documentation is the same as I suggested above (the one where a longer dataset is created such each record consist of an interval with time-indedependent covariates). I better like that solution.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Funda_SAS
SAS Employee

Please see the example below-- it shows how to fit a Cox model by taking into account a continuous time dependent variable.

SAS/STAT(R) 13.1 User's Guide

Funda

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63347/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_phreg_sect05...

munitech4u
Quartz | Level 8

I had gone through this example. Say p is the continuous variable and p1-p15 are observations over 15 time periods. I have 20 such variables. can i directly put it in the form p1-p15 followed by say a1-a15,b1-b15 and so on. Will it allow such a combination?

JacobSimonsen
Barite | Level 11

Hi munitech4u,

SAS should allow for the form you suggest where the model line will be

model time*censur(0)=var1-var20,

and the 20 variables which is dependent on the values of a1-a15,b1-b15 .... has to be calculated inside phreg as in the example reffered in above.

There is also an alternative solution: Each record can be split up into several records each with an entry and exit time. Then, in each record the covariates are constant. This make the use of phreg much easier. The paper by Rostgaard shows how this dataset can be created  ( http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186%2F1742-5573-5-7) by using a freely available macro

(The paper mention Poisson regression in the title, but with the "noagg" option it also works with Cox regresssion).

munitech4u
Quartz | Level 8

proc phreg data=Tumor;

model Time*Dead(0)=Dose NPap;

array pp{*} P1-P14;

So in the above statement, you mean we can modify the statement like:

proc phreg data=Tumor;

model Time*Dead(0)=sector a b c d e;

array aa{*} a1-a21;

array bb{*} b1-b21;

array cc{*} c1-c21;

array dd{*} d1-d21;

JacobSimonsen
Barite | Level 11

I think you got it right.

Didn't you say that there were 15 intervals as in the examples? -then the length of the arrays aa, bb .. should be 14. The code below is (intended to be) as in the example, just with 5 timedependent variables instead of just one.

proc phreg data=Tumor;

model Time*Dead(0)=Dose a b c d e;

array aa{*} a1-a14;

array bb{*} b1-b14;

array cc{*} c1-c14;

array dd{*} d1-d14;

array tt{*} t1-t14;

t1=27;  t2=34;  t3=37;  t4=41;  t5=43;   t6=45;  t7=46;  t8=47;  t9=49; t10=50;   t11=51; t12=53; t13=65; t14=67; t15=71;

if Time <  tt[1]  then do;

a=0;b=0;c=0;d=0;e=0;

*it is important here that tt[1] is before the first event-time. I think this can be done more elegant, but it is how it is written in the example;

end;

else if time >= tt[15] then do;

a=a15;b=b15;c=c15;d=d15;e=e15;

end;

else do i=1 to dim(pp);

if tt <= Time < tt[i+1] then do;  a=aa;b=b[;c=cc;d=dd;e=e; end;

end;

run;

Maybe, you can shorten the code considerable by using twodimensional arrays. This is especially relevant if you need to extend the code to handle 20 time-dependent covariates.

Also, by the way, the second approach also shown in the documentation is the same as I suggested above (the one where a longer dataset is created such each record consist of an interval with time-indedependent covariates). I better like that solution.

munitech4u
Quartz | Level 8

How to check multicollinearity in such a scenario? or should i check multicollinearity in the transposed dataset first before transposing it back to longitudinal data. Also the missing values are there in example for the time period before start or after finish, can we feed it directly to model

as in the dataset created in link: SAS/STAT(R) 9.22 User's Guide

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation