BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Yukosmile
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I've been caught up in an issue in Proc Glimmix. For the same data, the same model and the same procedure, but I get different covatiance parameter estimate tables.

The treatment has 3 levels.

The model is :

proc  glimmix data=analysis initglm method=laplace;

class trial rep treatment;

model event/group_total=treatment;

nloptions tech=newrap maxit=400;

random trial rep(trial);

run;

Covariance parameter estimates
Cov Parm          Estimate                    Standard error

trial                 0                                    .                       
rep(trial)0.3120       .

Type III  Test of Fixed effect 

effect                         Num DF        Den DF         F value

treatment                 2               24               53.62      <.0001

However,if I sort the data by treatment first and re-run the glimmix procedure, I have different above tables:

Covariance parameter estimates
Cov Parm          Estimate                    Standard error

trial                      0                             0.2204    
rep(trial)0.31090.4130

Type III  Test of Fixed effect  

effect                         Num DF        Den DF         F value

treatment                   1                   24           162.42       <.0001

The df for numerator is 1. But the treatment has 3 levels, df should be 2.

Can anybody explain what causes these different results?  Is it because the model is over-specified? Thanks a lot!

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Get a ticket opened with Tech Support right away.  Without access to your data, I can't really say what is going on, but that dropping of the treatment df makes me wonder if something has gone awry with the sorting, so check the log for that.  Also check the stuff that GLIMMIX reports early on, such as number of observations, number of columns in the X and Z matrices, etc.

I admit, something really odd is happening.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation