BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

May I request someone to explain the meaning of 'Convergenc​e criterion (GCONV=1E-​8) satisfied' in logistic regression in simple terms?

8 REPLIES 8
mohamed_zaki
Barite | Level 11

GCONV is one of the Convergence Criteria that you can specify in your Model statement and it is the default one if not specified explicitly in the Model statements with the value of GCONV=1E–8. And this value works as threshold value in terminating the iterative gradient-descent search which is an optimization technique that is applied to minimize the vector of error values at each iteration by starting with an arbitrary initial vector of parameter estimates and repeatedly minimizing error values in small steps.

Model convergence status section in your output is related to your model’s optimization convergence and precision. And it is important to figure out some problems like complete separation or quasi-complete separation.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Thanks for the reply.

Since I've trouble understanding the technical stuffs,may I request you to explain in layman's term?

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

For one-dimensional functions, the derivative is zero when the function reaches a maximum value. The "gradient" is a generalzation of a derivative for multivariable functions. The GCONV= criterion says that the optimization will stop when the "derivative" is very close to zero (smaller than 1E-8).  When that occurs, the log likelihood function should be very close to its maximum value.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

May I request you to explain about the terms 'derivative' and 'optimization' from your comment?

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

"Optimization" means that you are trying to find the largest or smallest value of a function. In statistics, you try to find the "best" function that fits your data. Mathematically, this corresponds to an optimization. For example, a "line of best fit" is the line that minimizes the size of the residuals.

A "derivative" is the slope of a function. In calculus you learn how to compute the slope and you learn that the largest and smallest values often occur when the slope is zero. Think about the top of a hill or the bottom of a valley.

stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi Dr. Rick,

Just to confirm, is that second derivative which should be used for minimum or maximum value?

Regards,

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

No, I never mentioned the second derivative. The hills and valleys occur where the FIRST derivative is zero.

However, you are correct thatyou look at the second derivative in order to determine whether you have a hill or valley.

For functions of more than one variable, the first derivative is replaced by the gradient, which is the vector of first partial derivatives. The second derivative is replaced by the Hessian matrix, which is the matrix of second partial derivatives. In addition to hills and valleys, multivariate functions have "saddle points" where the function is a hill in some directions, but a valley in others.

stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

Thanks Dr. Rick - this is very helpful.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation