BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
YoungA
Calcite | Level 5

I am using GLIMMIX to estimate a mixed model (with random effect for subject) for a binary outcome. My question concerns interpretation of results from a test conducted using the CONTRAST statement (using multiple variables in the contrast statement). I am trying to explain, in simple terms, how this test assesses changes in the predictive ability of the model. I know that in regular logistic models, it essentially assesses the change in the log likelihood estimate of the overall model with vs. without the parameters; however, in GLIMMIX, from what I understand, the log likelihood comparison is not valid (given that they are really only pseudo log likelihoods). A SAS resource (see here) cautions against comparing log likelihood estimates.

The GLIMMIX output for the contrast statement provides a F statistic and p-value. What exactly is being compared across the nested models? In my output, the F-statistic equals the difference in the pseudo log likelihoods, but I thought this was an invalid comparison?

Also, how do I determine the overall statistical significance of the GLIMMIX model? My output gives me the residual log likelihood and the generalized chi-square, but no p-value. Are no significance values given in GLIMMIX models?

Below is an example of the code I am running:

Proc glimmix data=[dataset] method=rspl noclprint oddsratio;

class subject;

model vaccination(event='1') = gender age race income attitude1 attitude2 /dist=bin link=logit solution cl ddfm=none;

contrast 'F test of attitudes' attitude1 1 attitude2 1;

Random int/subject=ego;

ESTIMATE 'male vs female' gender 1 / EXP adjust=sidak;

run;

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Treating attitude1 and attitude2 as continuous variables may be a bit odd; the contrast is essentially whether the value at attitude1=1, attitude2=1 and gender, age, race and income are at their mean values.  I have to ask: what is the mean value of gender or race?  I would reformulate your code as:

proc glimmix data=[dataset] method=quad noclprint oddsratio ic=pq;

class subject gender race attribute1 attribute2;

mdoel vaccination(event='1') = gender age race income attitude1 attitude2 / dist=bin solution cl ddfm=none;

random int/subject=subject;

run;

I don't see where ego enters the model, and this treats all factors except age as nominal.  I also changed the method to adaptive quadrature, so that the analysis is based on quasi-likelihood rather than pseudo-likelihood, thus making the information criteria applicable.  You can now fit a reduced model to check AIC or AICc to see whether the deleted variables contribute to the information density.

Steve Denham

YoungA
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your help! This helps tremendously.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation