BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CraigWW
Calcite | Level 5
I am looking for a way to use Proc GLM to calculate the confidence interval for the ratio of means with treatment and center as factors for testing bioequivalence. I found the following reference:

http://www.lexjansen.com/pharmasug/2008/sp/sp04.pdf

but this calls for a crossover design. For the type of products we test here, we run a parallel design with clinical endpoints.

Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19
What about taking the log of the response variable? The difference between the treatment means is the log of the ratio, and confidence bounds around the ratio can be calculated from the confidence interval on the difference by exponentiating the results.

Steve Denham
CraigWW
Calcite | Level 5
The response variable is % change from baseline and can be negative and positive. Of course we can't take the log of a negative number.
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19
OK. Percent change from baseline is the same as an analysis of covariance, with the regression coefficient for the pretreatment value fixed at negative one (that's pretty loose, but it's a fair analogy). How about a log transform of all values before calculating the change from baseline? Then you are looking at the ratio change from baseline. Or, you could use the log of the pretreatment value as a covariate, and look at the difference in group least squares means, giving the ratio after adjusting all subjects to an equivalent pretreatment value.

Would that approach be workable?

Steve Denham
CraigWW
Calcite | Level 5
Good suggestions, thanks!
CraigWW
Calcite | Level 5
Now what to do when the response is equal to 0? I considered adding a constant to the response variable, but then the results are dependent on the constant I choose. The baseline response is always > 0, but the post-baseline response can be equal to 0.
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19
Zeros. My first reaction is to start swearing, but since that doesn't solve the problem, I went googling for nonparametric methods. The EU recommends a nonparametric approach in many cases. There were also some bootstrapping methods returned in the search. I have to admit that I am out of my comfort realm with these; I just know that they have been used.

Good luck,

Steve Denham
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19
I just looked up the EMEA guidance, and it now specifies that non-parametric analyses should NOT be used, so my previous posting should be crumpled and tossed in the nearest waste receptacle. It seems I was ten years out of date, and I apologize.

That leaves bootstrapping and Bayesian methods, so far as I can determine.

I really do hope you have some luck.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation