BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ujjawal
Quartz | Level 8

I am confused between these two terms - Sensitivity and Concordance. What i understand about these two terms -

Concordance - the number of pairs where actual 1s have higher predicted probability of becoming 1s than 0s divided by total number of pairs

Sensitivity (True Positive) - percentage of 1s correctly predicted as 1. By their definitions, both seems to be the same.

I have read somewhere Concordance = (TRUE POSITIVE + TRUE NEGATIVE) / SAMPLE SIZE. I have tried to calculate concordance using this formula. But it seems to be incorrect.

First, i have run logistic regression using PROC LOGISTIC with CTABLE PPROB=0.5 options. Then, i have calculated true positive pairs from (Sensitivity percentage* number of 1s) and true negative pairs from (Specificity percentage * number of 0s). I added them up and divided by total responses. It is not matching up with concordance score.

2 REPLIES 2
Quentin
Super User

Hi,

I think you have two different definitions of concordance.

If I heard "concordance" in a diagnostic setting or predictive setting, I would first think of your second definition (TRUE POSTIVE + TRUE NEGATIVE) / SAMPLE SIZE.

Sensitivity is (True Positive)/(True Positive + False Negative).

There are lost of good pages on sensitivity/specificity/PPV/NPV etc.  Wikipedia has a nice 2x2 contingency table which describes different statistics.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensitivity_and_specificity

But it looks like proc logistic is giving you something else for CONCORDANCE.  It is not %agreement using sample size as the denominator.  This site has a nice explanation.

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sas/output/sas_logit_output.htm

Note the denominator used by this calculation is not the sample size, it's the number of pairs.

Below is sample data.

Concordance of the contingency table is (TP+TN)/SIZE = (40+50)/100= 90%.

The concordance calculated by LOGISTIC is 80.8%.  The denominator for that calculation is 2475, i.e. with 45 true negatives and 55 true positive, you can have 2475 pairs.

data a;
   input x y weight;
   cards;
0 0 40
0 1 5
1 1 50
1 0 5
;
run;

proc logistic data=a descending;
  class x;
  model y=x;
  freq weight;
run;

proc freq data=a ;
  tables x*y /measures;
  weight weight;
run;

HTH,

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi,

Why are you using PPROB=0.5 in PROC LOGISTIC options? Why not 0.4,0.3 or some other value?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation