BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
trekvana
Calcite | Level 5
Hello all, my apologies if this has already been asked and answered.

I have been reading Robert Weiss's Modeling Longitudinal Data for help on how to correlated data and my question centers around the two proc mixed commands

repeated / type = CS
random intercept / type = UN

now when I run both models I get the same answers for the covariance parameters. According to Weiss the CS model has two parameters: the variance of the data (t^2) and correlation p. Now the RI model also has two parameters: the variance the data around the random intercept (s^2) and variance of the random intercepts themselves D.

Now Weiss says that t^2=s^2+D and that p=D/(s^2+D). SO my question is whether the two procs give us the (t^2,p) parameters or the (s^2,D) parameters????

Given that both procs give the same answers I am led to believe repeated / type=CS is actually giving me the (s^2,D) parameters and I actually have to solve for t^2 and p to get the true CS parameters. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks!!!

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Dale
Pyrite | Level 9
You are correct that both models are returning the parameter set (s^2,D) and that if you want t^2 and p, you would have to solve for them.

I don't know why you call the parameter set (t^2,p) the "true CS parameters". The set (t^2,p) conforms to one parameterization of a compound symmetric residual covariance structure if you project t^2 on to the diagonal and p*(t^2) onto the off-diagonal terms of the covariance matrix..

You might note in this phrase that we are dealing with a covariance matrix. The parameter p is not directly observed in the variance/covariance matrix. Rather, the value of p for a particular row and column is the ratio of an off-diagonal covariance term to the square root of the product of the two variances indexed by the pairs (row,row) and (column,column). In a compound symmetric matrix, the diagonal terms are all the same (t^2) and the off-diagonal terms are all the same. Because the diagonal terms are a constant (the sum of the variance of the means and the variance about the means) and the off-diagonal terms are a constant (the variance of the means), the correlation of any two observations from a given subject is constant. But you observe that we are defining p in terms of variances. I would say that the parameterization which SAS employs for a compound symmetric covariance structure is the natural parameterization. (Note the avoidance of the term "true parameterization.")

By the way, it is probably quite rare that one would encounter a compound symmetric error structure when modeling longitudinal data. It is possible - but not likely. Observations which are adjacent in time would typically have a stronger correlation than observations which are distant in time.
trekvana
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks Dale

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation