BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Hello Team,

I have the following information on a cohort of patients:

1)Actual Length of Stay in the hospital(days)

2)Expected Length of Stay(days)

3) Complication date

Want to know wether for the cases Length of stay is a result complication or

if complication is occuring becasue of longer Length of stay

What kind of analysis do i need ot perform? and how should I proceed?

Should I group patients in to two?

group1: (complication date-Admit date) less than Expected Length of Stay

group2: (complication date-Admit date) greater than Expected Length of Stay

Thansk

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

What does a plot of actual vs. expected look like?  Before I start divvying up patients into categories, I'd look at the plots, and try to figure out what is going on.  You might also want to plot out days to complication (complication date minus admission date) as a function of both of the previous two variables.

Steve Denham

mkeintz
PROC Star

As @SteveDenham says, look at the data distributions and plots first.

But as a conceptual matter, why can't both be true?   As a matter of common sense, wouldn't some types of complications cause increased length-of-stay?  Especially if the complication occurs near the end of "expected" length-of-stay.  And as a stay lengthens, isn't the per-patient probability of iatrogenic or other-genic complications increase due to a simple increase in exposure?

Can this question be reconceived as a study of daily hazard rates for complications (i.e. hazard_rate{I}= probability of complication on day I, having no complications prior to day I).  If the hazard rate goes up, especially for days near and beyond the expected stay, would that suggest a strong effect of length-of-stay on complication liklihood?

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation