BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ultrock
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am using data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) which used a complex survey design to recruit participants. NHANES contains cause-specific mortality data. I am looking to use 1999-2010 NHANES data sets to analyze the relationship between an exposure and cardiovascular disease mortality using PROC SURVEYPHREG, but need to a do a competing risk analysis because participants may die from other causes before dying from cardiovascular disease and thus, from my understanding, should not be censored. It is fairly straightforward to do a competing risk analysis with PROC PHREG with the eventrate option, but noticed this approach is not possible with PROC SURVEYPHREG.

As such, is there a way to do competing risk analysis with PROC SURVEYPHREG? Any help would be great!

Scott

1 REPLY 1
pau13rown
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

you could estimate the cause specific hazard by simply including the competing risk (death) as censored obs. Whether or not it's of interest is another question. See slides 26-29: https://www.sas.com/content/dam/SAS/en_ca/User%20Group%20Presentations/Vancouver-User-Group/Gondara_... - they use proc phreg here, but the code would be the same in surveyphreg i would assume

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation