BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello,

I am infant in using JMP, but Ia m very impressed to the capability of JMP.

I wonder there is a procedure available in JMP to compare two groups that have the same mean, but have very different different range of variation?

How can I address the difference in two group in a statistical way using JMP?

Thank you for your comment.

Myo
6 REPLIES 6
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
There is a special forum just for JMP users. You may find more assistance there.
http://support.sas.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=43

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you very much for your comment. I will look for what I need there. Best regards, Myo
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Cynthia's right, the JMP forum will get you more directly to the "how to" part of your answer.

Statistically, "range of variation" can mean different things. If you are saying "variance" (e.g. assuming a normal distribution in each group), then the "Folded-F" test that usually is part of a t-test output will give it to you. This test is sensitive to non-normality.

If your data are not normally distributed, then you are likely to end up with some sort of bootstrap procedure to compare percentiles of the distributions.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you so much your kind explanation. The importance of normal distribution makes sense in this comparison. Would you please give me some comment on the situation that if one group shows normal distribution while the other group does not show normal distribution. What could be the consequence of the analysis either by the Folded F-test or bootstrap procedure? Is there any preference or other option available?

Thank you again for your comment.

Best regards,

Myo
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
If one is normally distributed and the other is not, then the Folded-F will likely be conservative. I would consider a bootstrap approach at that juncture.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you very much! I will try it. Best regards, Myo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation