BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChristinaWang
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have a dataset that looks like the following,

variable x  :1 = very worried, 2 = slightly worried ,3 = Not worried

variable y : 1  = more likely, 2 = no change ,3 = less likely
I would like to comparsion the factor variable x and outcome variable y.

Which 's test inside sas will give the right p-value?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

A good general purpose test for the relationship between two categorical variables is Fisher's exact test. If your number of observations is not too large ( < 100 say), use the following :

proc freq data=myData;

tables x*y;

exact Fisher / maxtime=20;

run;

If the computation doesn't terminate within 20 seconds, add the MC option to the EXACT statement.

PG

PG
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Christina,

"Right" is a very slippery term in this sort of analysis.  There is probably no single answer.  There is a huge literature on testing association among ordered variables.

The Fisher's Exact Test that PG recommended is a general purpose test that could be used, but it is known to be conservative.  If your sample size is larger, then you could use the Chi-Squared test that is part of PROC FREQ to address general association.

Neither of these tests take advantage of the inherent ordering of the two variables.  I prefer Kendall's Tau-b (also part of FREQ).

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation