BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
supreets89
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Everyone,

How can I test for significance using proportions in the following data:

Var                 X       Y     Z 

A   50      60     10

B   100   200    300    

If i want to show that the total proportion of Z in A (10/120)  is different from Z in B (300 /600), which test of significance would I use and how would i code it? My data is structured the following way:
v1    v2    v3
A      X     50
A      Y     60
A      Z     10
B      X    100

B      Y     200

B      Z     300

I know Chi-sq would compare proportions in all three columns together, but how can i focus the significance test to just Z in A vs Z in B.

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You could compare the two proportions using the formula here:

https://onlinecourses.science.psu.edu/stat500/node/55

just underneath the heading "Hypothesis Testing to Compare Two Population Proportions: p1,p2" (this assumes that groups A and B are independent, statistically)

You could use PROC FREQ to obtain the proportions, and then the formula itself isn't hard to program in a data step.

--
Paige Miller
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

All you care about is Z and not Z - the separate X and Y levels can be combined. PROC FREQ can do the chi-square test for you:

data a;
input r $ c $ count;
datalines;
A notZ 110
A Z     10
B notZ 300
B Z    300
;
proc freq;
table r*c / chisq;
weight count; 
run;
Ksharp
Super User

Or you want do Trend Analysis ?

proc freq;

table v1*v2/trend;

run;

sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I think that the solution suggested by @SAS_Rob in this current Community thread Chi square test of association which links to this note http://support.sas.com/kb/22/565.html would provide you with the tools you need.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation