BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CMC
Calcite | Level 5 CMC
Calcite | Level 5

Does anybody have some code to run a Chi-Merge Discretization on a dataset?  

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

</soapbox on

Any time I get asked to convert well behaved continous data into discrete classes/clusters/dichotomies, I begin to wonder--why isn't the more powerful continuous case good enough?  What could be gained by lumping stuff together?  I realize that you can't offer someone 0.82457 of a credit card, and I have been doing linear models with class variables since mammoths roamed, so I'm not totally against dichotomizing a response, or categorizing into classes, but I always wonder.

/soapbox off>

Steve Denham

Tenno1
Calcite | Level 5

Contact me at  rbettinger@modernanalytics.com and i'll send you a program that i wrote. also, you can read my paper "ChiD - A X^2 Discretization Algorithm" that I presented at WUSS 2011. Here's the link:http://www.wuss.org/proceedings11/ 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation