BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dsuchoff
Calcite | Level 5

My apologies for the somewhat convoluted title. Let me explain:

We are conducting a greenhouse study in which we are looking at plant genotype (factor A) and irrigation (factor B). Plants are grown in pots to which we randomly assigned both genotype and irrigation. The study is a full factorial RCBD with five blocks. In analyzing the data, I notice that the effect of irrigation is very strong, and I wonder if the variability associated with it overshadows potential interactions? Here is an example of analyzed data for stomatal conductance in which we took two subsamples per plant.

SAS Output

SAS Output
Type III Tests of Fixed Effects

Effect    Num DF    Den DF     F Value       Pr > F
   Genotype   2       50               3.06         0.0559

Irrigation    1       50      1168.62         <.0001
  Interaction   2      50              1.97           0.1506

Any input would be much appreciated!

David 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

If you truly have a full factorial, then the answer to your question is NO. Each factor and interaction explains a certain amount of variability of the response, independently of the others, and so the big value you get is because the effect of irrigation is huge, and the effect of genotype and interaction is quite small.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

If you truly have a full factorial, then the answer to your question is NO. Each factor and interaction explains a certain amount of variability of the response, independently of the others, and so the big value you get is because the effect of irrigation is huge, and the effect of genotype and interaction is quite small.

--
Paige Miller
dsuchoff
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you, Paige. That's what I was thinking, but wanted more expert advice.
Thanks again.
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

That's the beauty of designed experiments: the factors are not correlated

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation