BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
smadlindl0
Calcite | Level 5

In my solution after the logit-regression the Maximum Likelihood Estimate is the standardmethod. Is it  possible to change to least-squares estimate and compare the difference between the two methods in the results?

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

You may need to specify which procedure you are using. Proc Logistic supports least squares using the LSMEANS and LSMESTIMATE statements.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

The LSMEANS and LSMESTIMATE statements compute marginal (least squares) means and compares them using the maximum likelihood estimates.  They do NOT involve estimation using least squares.  Logistic models are one in the class of generalized linear models which are all estimated using maximum likelihood estimation.  

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I'm not certain what you intend, but PROC LOGISTIC support iteratively reweighted least square solutions, and in fact that is the default solution technique. You can read about the numerical solution algorithms in PROC LOGISTIC in the doc.  To compare you would need to run the procedure twice, once with each method.

But as far as I know there is no direct method for using least squares to compute a logistic regression, only iterative methods. The problem is that the conditional probability of the response p_i = E(Y_i | X_i) is not observed. So you have to use some iterative technique to optimize the likelihood function.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation