BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
3 REPLIES 3
rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

Yes, you can. This depends what your desire output is.

For example:

I am predicting time based on a quadratic model of the age of my subjects (reason why I have age and age2, where age2=age*age). If my model includes:

model time=age age2;

random int age age2/subject=ind;

My output using fixed effect would be the quadratic age trend for an average subject. When you combined the fixed and the random solutions per subject, you would get the quadratic age trend for each of your subjects.

Let me know if this answers your question. 

Rita

fbabinec
Calcite | Level 5
Yes, thanks. I have a second question: what happens if you use a class variable as both fixed and random?

Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no attachments. -##
rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

Using a class variable, it is like intercepts, the fixed effect will give you the effect for the average subject while the combination of the fixed and random will give you the value for that particular subject. This is assuming you are specifying the random statement per subject.

It might be easier to give you an interpretation if I can see your model. Be aware that sometimes when specifying fixed and random effects and depending on the level of detail of the data, the random effect might be zero, because they are acting as residuals.

regards,

Rita

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation