Programming the statistical procedures from SAS

Can I conduct a bivariate Kolmogorov-Smirnov test in SAS?

New Contributor

Can I conduct a bivariate Kolmogorov-Smirnov test in SAS?

Is there a way to conduct a bivariate Kolmogorov-Smirnov test in SAS?  That is, I want to know if two or more samples differ in their bivariate probability distributions. For example, do genotypes differ in the *combinations* of temperature and moisture that they germinate in?  NPAR1way allows comparisons of temperature distributions or moisture distributions separately, but I'd like to compare the bivariate distributions.  

Thanks!

SAS Super FREQ

Re: Can I conduct a bivariate Kolmogorov-Smirnov test in SAS?

I don't think bivariate K-S tests are available, but there are other options, mostly from the field of spatial data analysis.  If you can upload your data, we might have more to suggest.

I assume you have a set of (x,y) pairs for each sample. There are many ways to analyze spatial point patterns in SAS. The SPP procedure in SAS/STAT enables you to graph the empirical distribution of nearest-neighbor distances between points in a point pattern. There are many distance functions that you can choose to compute. PROC SPP also enables you to model the intensity (=density) of the points.  However, the GOF tests in PROC SPP tend to be for comparing data to theoretical models, rather than the nonparametric comparison of two patterns.

New Contributor

Thanks a lot.  I'll look into these methods of spatial statistics.  Need a non-parametric test, though....

Grand Advisor

It seems that you want perform MANOVA .

Check the example of GLM in documentation.

proc glm;

class group;

model temperature   moisture =group/ nouni;

quit;

New Contributor

Thanks!  The data are highly non-normal, though (and can't be transformed to normality), so I need a non-parametric test.  Otherwise, GLM would be OK for some analyses.  Also, I'm interested in the higher moments of the distribution as much as the first.

SAS Super FREQ

The best way to get answers that are appropriate is to upload data that demonstrates the problem you are trying to solve.

Grand Advisor

Have you looked at Proc NPAR1Way and the Exact test statement with the EDF option?

EDF produces Kolmogorov-Smirnov D statistic for two-sample data.

Super Contributor

I have never heard about a two-dimensional K-S test. I dont think there is any theory on the distribution of the test statistic.But don't give up!

Lets say you want to make a K-S test of whether a set of coordinates comes from a bivariate N(0,I) distribution. You can then simulate the distribution of the test statistic. You simply simulate n bivarite N(0,I) distribution, find the max value of the difference from the empirical distribution function distribution function of a twodimensional bivarite N(0,I) . Do that many times (1000 at least) and you then have the distribution of the test-statistic. Then compare your value with the simulated distribution to get a p-value.

Grand Advisor

Emm. Maybe you need some data simulation skill.
Check this and you can expand it into multiple variables scenario  easily  .

http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2014/11/21/resampling-in-sas.html
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation