BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
marcioadg
Calcite | Level 5

I need to compare between NLMIXED and MIXED, and I am not sure if I can use AIC, BIC, or just look the residuals, or even fit the linear model on the NLMIXED. I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Thank you

Marcio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

NLMIXED does maximum likelihood only (ML). MIXED does REML as the default; you can't compare likelihoods or AIC, etc., between ML and REML. So if you want to compare the output of the two procedures, you must use METHOD=ML statement option in MIXED.

Also, you should use TECH=NRRIDG for the optimization technique in NLMIXED in order to match the optimization method used in MIXED.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

You can fit linear models in NLMIXED, and with proper definition, get information criteria that exactly match.

The hard part of what you are asking comes down to making sure that your optimization methods are the same, fixed effects similarly defined, and DV measures are the same.  What do you have in mind to compare between the two methods?

Steve Denham

lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

NLMIXED does maximum likelihood only (ML). MIXED does REML as the default; you can't compare likelihoods or AIC, etc., between ML and REML. So if you want to compare the output of the two procedures, you must use METHOD=ML statement option in MIXED.

Also, you should use TECH=NRRIDG for the optimization technique in NLMIXED in order to match the optimization method used in MIXED.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

has set out what is needed when I said "proper definition".  Information criteria are better defined under ML, I think.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation