BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
hyunjeehale
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to find a way to calculate the power and sample size necessary for a 2x2x2x4 mixed factorial design as well as calculate the power necessary for a moderator analysis.

I have one between factor with two levels and three within factors (2 levels, 2 levels, 4 levels respectively).

http://meeting.spsp.org/2016/sites/default/files/Lane%2C%20Hennes%2C%20West%20SPSP%20Power%20Worksho...

The above resource has been the best one I have found, but I am feeling a big lost. The PASS program doesn't appear to have the ability to handle more than two within factors for a repeated measures mixed model and Gpower doesn't have a mixed model component that allows a user to indicate more than one within factor.

Is there a resource or guidance anyone can provide on the best way to calculate the necessary sample size?  Most of the resources I've in programs such as R are limited to the number of within factors you can have in the simulation.

1 REPLY 1
sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

For a model of this complexity, basically your options are simulation or a clever use of PARMS / HOLD that Walt Stroup has written about:

PROC GLIMMIX as a Teaching and Planning Tool for Experiment Design

Ch 16 in

Generalized Linear Mixed Models: Modern Concepts, Methods and Applications

Even with this tool, you may still be a bit lost because of the challenge of specifying one (or many) alternative hypotheses in a four-way factorial treatment design. I would be, anyway.

Good luck!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation