BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tts
Calcite | Level 5 tts
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether there is a way to calculate percentile across variables for each observation, and excludes missing values in the calculation?

The percentile function seems to work but if there is just a single missing value within all the variables then the result is a missing variable. 

Only workaround I was able to find was to achieve this in Excel, as my dataset fortunately wasn't too large. 

Thanks for your help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

@FreelanceReinh

Thanks!

The corrected code is below and still does not replicate the problem:

data test;
array pct(100) pct1-pct100 (1:100);
x=pctl(50, of pct(*));

do i=20 to 30;
pct(i)=.;
end;

y=pctl(50, of pct(*));
z=pctl(50, of pct1--pct100);
q=pctl(50, pct1, pct2, pct3, pct21, pct25, pct29, pct30, pct50, pct99, pct100);

keep x y z q;

run;

proc print;run;

@tts Have you been able to replicate your issue?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

I would recommend a transpose of your data and then using a more robust procedure such as proc univariate or proc means to calculate the percentile.

However, the behaviour your describing is not consistent with the percentile documentation, which states:

The PCTL function returns the percentile of the nonmissing values corresponding to the percentage. I can't replicate that behaviour as well, can you post a sample of your data where this was occuring?

data test;
x=pctl(50, of pct(*));

do i=20 to 30;
pct(i)=.;
end;

y=pctl(50, of pct(*));

keep x y;

run;
tts
Calcite | Level 5 tts
Calcite | Level 5
My data is structured similarly to your test dataset, however my variable names are not standardized. There is no standardization as they are various company tickers on NASDAQ.

The way you define the variables to calculate percentile across would not work in my instance, correct?

What I had tried was :

percentile= PCTL(95,A--VLU); with A and VLU being the first and last variables I am interested in calculating percentile across.

Thanks!

Reeza
Super User

If you can define it that way, you could also define your array similarily.

array stocks(*) A--VLU;

At any rate, I still can't replicate your issue. Please post your code and sample data that replicates your problem. I'm guessing you actually have some other issue. 

data test;
x=pctl(50, of pct(*));

do i=20 to 30;
pct(i)=.;
end;

y=pctl(50, of pct(*));
z=pctl(95, pct1--pct100);

keep x y z;

run;

proc print;run;

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @Reeza,

I think you should insert an "of" into your definition of z. Otherwise, the 95th percentile of a single value (singleton set), pct1--pct100=pct1+pct100=101, will be calculated.

Reeza
Super User

@FreelanceReinh

Thanks!

The corrected code is below and still does not replicate the problem:

data test;
x=pctl(50, of pct(*));

do i=20 to 30;
pct(i)=.;
end;

y=pctl(50, of pct(*));
z=pctl(50, of pct1--pct100);
q=pctl(50, pct1, pct2, pct3, pct21, pct25, pct29, pct30, pct50, pct99, pct100);

keep x y z q;

run;

proc print;run;

@tts Have you been able to replicate your issue?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation