BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KP
Calcite | Level 5 KP
Calcite | Level 5
Aloha,

I'm trying to analyze my data set but I'm confused on how to program SAS to run what I want it to run.

I'm testing the effect of 4 sucrose concentrations and 3 growth promoter concentrations on pollen of 5 plant varieties. I am using a CRD experimental design, with a complete factorial treatment design.

Is there a way I can test the combinatorial effects of sucrose+growth promoter concentrations on the 5 plant varieties? For example, I want to test if 5% growth promoter gives significant differences in pollen growth among 5 varieties when that concentration is combined with 4 different levels of sucrose. Can I do this in a CRD with subsampling?
1 REPLY 1
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Looks like you have two issues: properly dealing with sub-samples and doing contrasts after model fitting. Here is one approach. You need to have a unique identifier of each replicate of each S, G, and V combination. Call this REP. Let's say there are 5 replicates of each combination of levels of the three fixed effects; there would be five records for S=1,G=1,V=1 (with REP = 1,2,3,4,5), etc. But if you also have sub-samples (let's say 3), then there would be 15 records for S=1,G=1,V=1, etc. There would be three records for S=1,G=1,V=1,REP=1,
three records for
S=1,G=1,V=1,REP=2,
etc.
Then you could use the program:
proc mixed ;
class S G V REP;
model Y = S|G|V;
random REP(S G V);
lsmeans S*G*V / slice = (S G S*G);
run;

Without the random statement, the procedure would incorrectly consider the sub-samples as independent replicates.

You could use a series of contrast statements for the last part of your post. But I can't get into describing this here. Instead, I am showing you how to use the SLICE option on LSMEANS statements. After the means in the output, you will get a series of tests of simple effects. For instance, the first line in the Effect Slice output will be the results of a test for G*V effects for S=1, then for S=2, and so on. Eventually, you will get the test results for V effects for S=1,G=1, then for S=1,G=2, and so on.

If you want more specifics, for instance, which varieties are different from each other at S=1,G=1, then for S=1,G=2, and so on, you will need to use GLIMMIX. Everything is the same (in this case) except you can expand the LSMEANS statement to:

lsmeans S*G*V / slice = (S G S*G) slicediff=(S G S*G);

This will generate a lot of output. You can read about slices in the documentation.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation