BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Agent47
Calcite | Level 5

Hello all, 

I downloaded SAS University (on Mac) some days ago and I have some questions: 

- Is Virtual Box really needed ? I don't use it at university 

- I struggle already in only creating my own library, as it is written that it is impossible "while SAS is in lockdown mode". What is it ? 

Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

UE is a virtual Linux machine that needs software to "play" it. This is either Virtual Box or VM Player.

How you define libraries (and create the necessary directories) is described in the UE documentation.

Reeza
Super User

@Agent47 wrote:

- I struggle already in only creating my own library, as it is written that it is impossible "while SAS is in lockdown mode". What is it ? 

In the future, if you mention something isn't 'working' please include the code you've used as well as the log with the error message. You're setting up your libraries incorrectly. 

1. Review the installation instructions - you need to set up the shared folder exactly as set up. 

2. Reference it as:

libname mylib '/folders/myfolders/';

3. Create another shared folder somewhere else on your computer, similar to #1

4. Reference it as:

libname diffLib '/folders/myshortcuts/foldername';

Note that the commands above are case sensitive. Make sure to create the folder as lower case and reference the as such. 

@Agent47 wrote:

- Is Virtual Box really needed ? I don't use it at university 

Yes. Why? At your school, they likely have the full SAS installation that's directly installed on the computers. SAS UE is a restricted envirnoment. To control the installation and ensure it's set up properly, SAS has chosen to install the software on a Unix Machine and that Unix Machine, is what you downloaded and can access via the VM Software. 

You have another option which is to use SAS Academics on Demand which is an online version, and it means you'll be using the same thing at University and home. But you need a fast internet connection and you can only upload files that are 10MB. 

Agent47
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you all for your answers, very helpful. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation